- 4 tablespoons unsalted clarified butter (page 7)
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 small Italian green pepper, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cups coarse-grain bulgur, washed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Turkish red pepper or ground red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or hot water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
How to make Bulgur Pilaf with Peppers and Tomatoes
- In a heavy, medium-size saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat and cook the onion gently for 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it’s softened but not brown.
- Stir in the green pepper, bulgur, tomatoes, Turkish red pepper, and stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the saucepan, and cook gently for about 15 minutes, or until the bulgur has absorbed all the liquid.
- Let the mixture stand, covered, for about 5 minutes; then stir in the parsley, and serve.