- 6 cups plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Turkish red pepper or ground red pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Toasted pita bread
How to make Thick Yogurt Spread (Haydari)
- Line a large sieve with a double thickness of cheesecloth and place the sieve over a large bowl.
- Pour the yogurt into the sieve and loosely cover it with parchment paper.
- Let the yogurt drain overnight.
- Transfer the yogurt to a bowl, and add the garlic, Turkish red pepper, and dill.
- Season with salt.
- Stir the yogurt gently with a wooden spoon until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.
- Serve with toasted pita bread.